5 Ways to Maintain Your Pet's Heart Health
Heart disease is a common and very dangerous disease among dogs and cats. If left untreated, heart disease can lead to other debilitating issues, including congestive heart failure. While heart disease is not a preventable disease, there are steps you can take to strengthen and maintain your pet’s heart health.
1) Exercise your pet regularly: Making sure that your pet gets daily exercise ensures that their heart is getting the exercise that it needs to maintain proper function. Taking your dog on daily walks (not just potty breaks!) is the easiest way to make sure they are getting enough exercise. You can also include them in activities like hiking, running, and swimming. If your cat does not often get outdoor exercise, making sure they have plenty of stimulating toys and scratching posts around the house will help them get exercise.
2) Proper diet and weight management: A proper diet is the foundation of your pet’s health. Your pet should always have a well-balanced diet of essential vitamins and nutrients that is right for them. Weight management is also an important aspect of your pet’s diet, because keeping your pet at a healthy weight can greatly reduce stress on their heart. Choosing the proper diet can be overwhelming if you aren’t sure what to look for, so it may require the help of your vet and some extra research. Check out our blog post on choosing the proper diet for tips and recommendations!
3) Dental care: Certain dental diseases like gum disease have been directly linked to heart disease in both dogs and cats. Brushing your pet’s teeth on a regular basis will keep harmful bacteria away from your pet’s teeth and gums, and subsequently, their bloodstream, which can affect more organs than just the heart. Check out our blog post on everything you need to know about maintaining your pet’s dental health.
4) Knowing your breed: Some dog and cat breeds are predisposed to heart disease, so be sure to do plenty of research on your breed and regularly check in with your vet for the proper treatments and exams that your pet may need.
5) Provide daily supplements: Providing your pet with daily supplements designed specifically for heart health is a great way to give their heart some extra care. Petwell Supply’s favorite heart supplement is Herbsmith’s Taurine, which works to strengthen your pet’s heart muscles by building protein, maintaining hydration and electrolyte balance in cells, regulating oxidative stress, and even forming bile to aid digestion. It also contains L-Carnitine, Omega 3 fatty acids, and Coenzyme Q10, all of which additionally benefit brain, eye, and immune health. Taurine is even a great supplement to give dogs on a grain-free diet, due to the recent link between grain-free diets and heart disease. Learn more about grain-free diets and heart disease here.
- Vanessa Rances