How to Stay on Top of Your Pet's Hip & Joint Health
Dogs and cats may experience several hip and joint issues during their lifetime. These issues may vary from mild to severe, but can very much affect their quality of life. It is important to know the signs that your pet may be struggling with hip and joint discomfort as well as making sure that you are taking the right steps to prevent it.
Some of the most common hip and joint problems for dogs and cats include:
- Torn ligaments, dislocations, or fractures
- Hip Dysplasia
- Elbow Dysplasia
- Osteoarthritis, or Degenerative Joint Disease
It is especially important to pay close attention to your pet as they age, because hip and joint problems are common among senior pets. Pets of all ages, however, can experience any of these problems during any life stage. Some dog breeds are even predisposed to hip and joint disorders/diseases, so be sure to check in with your vet if they are at risk of developing any issues. Hip and joint issues can also coincide with other disorders/diseases like cancer, Lyme disease, or hyperthyroidism, which is why it is important to have any hip/joint issues evaluated by your vet.
If you suspect that your dog or cat has a hip or joint issue, keep an eye out for these signs:
- Limping/awkward movements
- Shaky legs
- Swollen joints
- Favoring one leg/paw over another
- Difficulty standing from sitting/lying position
- Refusal to use stairs
To help prevent hip and joint issues, ensure that your pet is getting plenty of exercise and stimulation, is on the proper diet to avoid obesity, and has comfortable places to rest, which includes having a properly-sized bed. In addition, there are many natural ingredients and remedies that offer hip and joint support:
- CBD (cannabidiol): the natural cannabinoid found in industrial hemp/cannabis that reduces inflammation and relieves pain
- Glucosamine: a natural substance found in your pet’s body that helps form and repair body tissues and reduce inflammation
- Chondroitin: a natural substance found in cartilage that promotes water retention and elasticity in the cartilage, helping to ensure the nourishment of joint tissues
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane): a natural herbal supplement made from organic sulfur found in foods that reduces inflammation and relieves pain
- Fish Oil: an oil derived from the tissues of fish that contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation
- Turmeric: an all-natural anti-inflammatory plant of the ginger family
- Yucca: an all-natural pain-killing plant
You’ll find all of these ingredients in the various hip and joint support supplements that Petwell Supply offers both in-store and online. Here are our top recommended products:
- Hip & Joint Treats: Our hip and joint treats contain the active ingredient glucosamine and make for a tasty, everyday supplement for hip and joint maintenance for pets of all life stages.
- Salmon Oil: Another great and tasty supplement for everyday hip and joint maintenance, salmon oil contains high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce tissue inflammation. This is a great supplement for pets of any life stage.
- Wondercide Fidoplex: This chewable supplement is made from eggshell membrane, which contains a variety of substances known to help maintain healthy joints and connective tissue, including collagen, elastin, vital amino acids, glycosaminoglycans and TGF beta-1 protein. This is a great supplement for pets of any life stage.
- Wholistic Pet Organics Run Free: This powerful powder supplement contains a blend of Omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM to promote overall joint support. This supplement is especially great for senior pets, athletic/working pets, and pets with preexisting hip and joint problems.
- Herbsmith Soothe Joints: This all-natural powder supplement contains a wide variety of herbs that work together to ease joint stiffness, soreness, and tenderness. This supplement is great for senior pets, especially during colder months.
- Herbsmith Sound Dog Viscosity: This powder supplement contains a blend of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and anti-inflammatory herbs that provide overall joint support, making this a great supplement for senior dogs, athletic/working dogs, and dogs with preexisting hip and joint problems.
- Herbsmith Sound Kitty: Made especially for cats, this powder supplement is great for cats of all activity levels and ages, as its main purpose is to help maintain the viscosity of joint fluid. It contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, and all-natural herbs that support overall joint health.
- CBD (in-store only): CBD ointment can be rubbed directly onto joints for fast-acting and long-lasting relief of pain or swelling. This makes it a great supplement for pets who have hip or elbow Dysplasia or other hip and joint issues that have stemmed from preexisting conditions like cancer and Lyme disease.
- Vanessa Rances